The app is designed to provide a structured approach to developing speech sounds; beginning with simple consonant-vowel structures, syllables, multisyllable words, phrases and sentences.
It is ideal for use in therapy sessions or given to children for home practice. The app includes a variety of games to keep children motivated.
The record-playback facility enables a child to receive direct auditory feedback. Helping the child to learn how to adjust their speech to improve accuracy and develop self monitoring skills.
The app uses a variety of techniques to facilitate speech sound development:
- Words are graded in complexity; Initial targets are simple CV, VC and CVC structures before more complex multi syllable words.
- Speech sound substitution patterns are taken into account in early target word selection.
- Targets include low neighbourhood density words.
- The app makes use of trochaic and iambic phrases.
- The app provides practice from a simple CV structure up to sentence level.
The app can also be used to support vocabulary development and memory skills.
- Picture vocabulary includes a variety of nouns, verbs and adjectives.
- Interesting and silly sentences will promote conversation and develop language skills.